How to transfer a logbook using NTSA website
You can transfer ownership of a motor vehicle online through the National Transport Safety Authority (NTSA) website.
Below is how to transfer a logbook:
Register to TIMS
Go to https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp.
- Both parties (buyer and seller) have to create individual accounts.
- Click on REGISTER AN ACCOUNT and chose the registration options (individual, car dealer, financial institution or company)
- Fill in the details as required
- To receive an SMS alert for the secret code that confirms successful transaction, ensure you click on the subscribe SMS option at the top right corner
How to make the transfer
- Click on VEHICLE REGISTRATION to access the menu
- Click on APPLY FOR TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
- Click on CREATE NEW button and key in the vehicle registration number
- Click on INQUIRE to find information about the vehicle
- Then click VIEW to get more information
- UPLOAD a scanned copy of the logbook
- Under New Vehicle, the seller should select whether they are individual, company, dealer or financial institution.
- Key in national ID number if making the transfer as an individual
- If transacting as a company, key in PIN number the click the ADD option
- Proceed to security verification, select MOBILE
- Select SEND VERIFICATION CODE then enter the code you will receive on your phone
- Once the seller clicks SUBMIT, the buyer will receive notification via SMS that the vehicle has been transferred to them and that they are required to either accept or decline the transfer.
To accept the transfer
Log in to https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp.
- Click on VIEW to see the vehicle details
- Under security verification, select VERIFICATION MODE and click SEND to get the code on your phone
- Key in the verification and either ACCEPT or DECLINE the transfer (decline will revert the vehicle back to the owner)
- If you click on ACCEPT, fill in the required information
- Then click on SUBMIT for the application to be sent to NTSA for processing.
Your logbook will be ready within seven working days.