The Ministry of Education has ordered the closure of 22 schools in Kisumu County for failing to adhere to safety regulations under the Education Act.
The County Director of Education Isaac Atebe announced on Friday that a school in Nyando Sub County had already been closed adding the process to shut the remaining 21 schools was ongoing. An inspection exercise had flagged out 22 schools in the county as having structurally unsound classrooms.
Atebe said the school in Nyando had dilapidated infrastructure.
“In Ahero, Nyando, there is one private school which had a bad infrastructure and we declared it closed immediately,” he said.
The County Director of Education said affected schools have been operating without registration from the Ministry of Education.
“The notice of the closure is to enable the students and pupils affected to be able to be placed in the nearby public schools as per the choice of the parents,” he said.
Atebe said a team of education officials have been combing the entire county visiting both private and public schools to check compliance in line with a directive issued by Education Cabinet Secretary Prof George Magoha following the death of nine pupils after a classroom collapsed at Precious Talents Top Academy, a private primary school in Nairobi’s Dagoretti area.
The directive was to ensure that all schools in the county are registered with the ministry, have qualified Teachers Service Commission (TSC) teachers and proper infrastructure.
“Kisumu County team has been on a monitoring exercise across the county and we have flagged 22 schools that do not meet the requirement as per the education Act,” said Atebe.
He said the management of the affected schools which are mainly private schools has been given notice to close and address the emerging issues before resuming learning possibly next year.
He noted that the process of transferring students requires the input of parents.
Atebe said the exercise will run until the end of October to ensure all schools are captured and those with illegalities are advised accordingly on remedial measures.
The county education boss said he was certain that students and pupils will learn in a conducive and safe environment when schools open next year noting that no learning institution will be allowed to operate outside the guidelines of the ministry.